Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 09, Prep for Sturgis

In July I was busy getting the ZX-14 ready for the 11th annual trip to Sturgis. I changed a few things on the ZX to make it a little easier to ride the 600+ miles a day we'll do on the trip out and back. I installed a Kawasaki center stand kit. A set of Genmar bar risers. I bought a nearly new seat from a C-14, Kawasaki's touring version of the ZX-14. I found the seat for sale on a C-14 forum. It slips right into place after swapping out 2 bits of hardware from my ZX-14 seat. I also installed a Zero Gravity Sport-Touring windshield, a Throttlemeister throttle lock, and wired up a 12 volt outlet to power XM radio.
At 750 miles I did the first oil change. At just 1200 miles I swapped out the stock tires for a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires. The tires have a 2 compound tread. Firmer, longer wearing tread in the center of the tire, and a softer, stickier tread compound on the sides. The original tires had already formed a flat spot in the center. I'd read on forums that people had been getting only 2-3000 miles out of a set of factory tires. I plan to put nearly 3000 on this trip.

No comments: