Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Day 9. Caliente, NV to Provo, UT

If Monady was my best day so far.. Today was the worst. It was already 92 degrees in when I left Caliente in the morning. I headed north on hwy 93. 15 miles south of hwy 6/50, I got stuck in a chip seal project. The Nevada DOT had only 1 lane open and trafic had to follow a pilot car. The drive wasn't bad, but the 20 minute wait on hot, smelly, black oil was. I tried to rest the bike on it's side stand but it sank into the freash road surface. I turned east on hwy 6/50. There, I fought nasty side winds for the next 80 miles. The winds would change direction and instanly change back again. It sucked! I took hwy 6/50 to Delta, UT. Then hwy 132 to Nephi. It started to rain at Nephi and the temps dropped, so I put on the rain gear. I headed north on I-15, the sky was black and it looked as if I was going to be riding in a lot of rain. A few miles later it stopped raining, but the sky stayed black, and the sun never returned. It stayed that way, all the way to Provo. By the time I got there it was 98 degrees, with black skies and no rain. I was still dressed in rain gear. I knew that if I stopped to take off the rain gear, it would pour, and if I left the rain gear on, it would never rain. There's nothing like the feeling of riding in an oven while wearing plastic clothes
I stopped in Provo for the night.

No comments: