Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Day 8. Eureka, NV to Caliente, NV

What an awesome day! I got to satisfy my desire for being in the middle of nowhere! There were endless sections of road with NO traffic. High speeds! Warm, but not too hot. Good food.
I left Eureka and took hwy 50 west to Austin. The 6 mile section of road just east of Austin had some super nice twisty parts! I had a really good bacon cheeseburger at the Toiyabe Cafe.
After lunch, I back-tracked a little to hwy 376 and headed south. Another 118 miles of nice road and NO traffic. More high speeds!! I stopped at Tonopah for gas and headed east on hwy 6. I snapped a few pictures along the way. I finally got the picture I was looking to get, the FJR parked across the traffic lane and the road visable in the background. There was NO one around!!
The cut off to the Tonopah Test Range. About 12 miles east of town on hwy 6.


If nowhere has a middle, this is it.

The Little Aleinn

From hwy 6 at Warm Springs, I turned down hwy 375 and stopped in Rachel. I got a few more pics of the bike in front the Little Aleinn, stopped in for a glas of ice water and did a little shopping. I noticed that there were  92-KQRS  (a Mpls/ St. Paul, classic rock, radio station) stickers on the highway sign just south of Rachel.


Also on the mail box that marks the road into "area 51".


I made it as far as Caliente for the day, and had pizza at Pioneer Pizza. I stayed at the same place Nancy and I stayed 2 years ago, the Shady Motel, same room too. I think the day was the best day of my vacation so far!!

No comments: