Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thursday 7-19

I have only a few days left to get ready. I still have to change oil, run the drinking tubes for the on-board drink coolers, pack, and load up. I have a few things to do around the house before I go too like, cut the grass, put away a few tools, and move the cars around so Nancy can use the garage...
I have planned out a few places I really want to see, but most of the trip is not on any kind of a schedule. I plan to be in Park City, UT noonish on Thursday the 26th. I'll be there untill Sunday a.m. After that, I'd really like to go west and drive across Hwy. 50 in Nevada. I hope to be in Belle Fourche, SD by 8-4 or even 8-5, where I'll meet up with a great bunch of guys that I've been to the Sturgis rally with for the last 8 years.
Last year's trip didn't go so well. I hit an antelope 30 miles from Sturgis and spent the rest of my 3 week vacation at home. Sore and black & blue. I wasn't wearing my helmet, but I did have my jacket on. I have since become a believer in ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time.
I did get some satisfaction from it. 6 weeks later, on my trip back home from Rapid City, where picked up my repaired Goldwing, I found the crash site and the remains of the antelope. I hung the remains of the hide on a near by fence, and brought a few of the sun bleached bones home. I also bought the FJR so I could still ride, and not have to wait for the insurance company to fix my Goldwing. Now I have 2 bikes, the FJR for when it's just me, and the Goldwing when Nancy wants to come along.

1 comment:

Steve said...

ATGATT - well i usually wear this 99% of the time. I would never consider riding without a helmet. I bet that really hurt.